For most of us, working everyday consumes much of our time. With the onset of COVID-19 reducing the workload of many, we are stuck with much more time on our hands than usual and for those of us who are either self-isolating or living in countries where we are under lockdown, stuck indoors for long periods of time. Now is the time for most of us to pursue all of those things that we haven’t had much time to do while we were working normal hours. A lot of us are also looking for things to do that will help to pass the time but won’t cost an arm or a leg.
If you are looking for some ideas, I’ve got you covered. Here is a list of hobbies and things to do to pass the time while you are home:
- Reading. There are many of us who have a stockpile of books that we purchased with the hope of reading or forming the habit of reading. Well, there is no time quite like the present. I find it so easy to get lost in a book and have often finished a book in one day. The good thing is that you can now find cheap, or free ebooks that you can access from any device. All you need to do is download the Kobo or Kindle app on your smartphone and start reading.
- Listen to Podcasts. Everyone is turning to podcasts to learn new things or to just listen to an interesting discussion about a topic that interests you. Podcasts are available on multiple platforms for both Android and iOS users.
- Play Online Games. In a world where the majority of households now have access to WiFi, the internet is the place to go for gaming and there are a lot of websites where games are available.
- Writing. If you have always wanted to start a blog or write a book then here is your chance. All the tips and tricks you need to know are available on the internet and there are forums for writers that include additional help where you need it. You can also sign up for skillshare where you will be able to access a large variety of courses.
- Learn a new language. I will definitely be using this time to learn another language because it is one of the things I planned to accomplish this year. Nowadays there are apps and also podcasts that help you learn the basics of any language.
- Meditation. It is hard for some of us to stay at home and not have a lot of things to do. Why not try meditation, it helps to calm the mind and you can try different types of meditation with online resources. Personally, I enjoy guided meditation.
- Movie marathons. Something that my family and I plan to do is have a few movie marathons, we have a running list of movies we would all like to watch and plan to watch as many as possible together.
- Learn to code. My husband has always wanted to learn how to code and has officially started learning the basics. It is actually amazing what you can learn online.
- Try new recipes. I have really started to enjoy cooking these last two years. It is so exciting to try out new recipes and I usually try and find something on the Tasty app. There are a wide range of recipes for all types of meals and you can always look for recipes that have the least amount of ingredients. It is a lifesaver when I need ideas or when I am in the mood for something different.
- Exercise. This is one of those hobbies that is not only good for you but can also be fun and help reduce stress. I definitely don’t need to stress the benefits of exercise but it definitely is enjoyable if you find the type of exercise that works best for you. For some it is cardio and for others it might be weight training. I have always enjoyed Zumba and weight training and now is the time to make it a habit in your daily routine.
Are there any hobbies that aren’t on my list? Let me know down in the comments, I am always keen to learn or try new things.
Stay safe out there, until next time…